Date(s) - Friday, 18/10/2013
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Outdoor Cinema, Derkenne Courtyard
Debate: Free Will vs. Determinism
FREE FOOD and NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINKS for members!*
Public speaking optional
How it will work:
- Pick whichever side you want
- We split into teams to discuss various arguments before dinner is served.
- After dinner, a few people volunteer to represent their team for the debate.
- Bell To Be Confirmed (Pavlov’s dog puns welcome on the night)
No assumed knowledge
Most club members don’t even formally study philosophy – the common factor is having fun exploring ideas. They could be old, they could be new – they could be old in a new form. It doesn’t matter. You won’t be expected to know any big names or important books. This topic is accessible to all.
If you would like to explore the issue in your own time, leading up to the event, check out these recommended sources:
- ABC’s Dr Karl
- Slate Magazine – Roy F. Baumeister
- Benjamin Libet’s experiments (discussed on the Conversations from the Pale Blue Dot podcast episode below)
- Conversations from the Pale Blue Dot podcast – Marcel Brass: The Neuroscience of Free Will (the blog article has plenty of links to other relevant sources)
WHEN: 5:30 PM, Friday 18th October
WHERE: Derkenne Courtyard, Shortland Building, Callaghan (weather permitting. Godfrey Tanner Bar if not)
FREE to members
*Join on the night for $2
Bring friends – the more the merrier!
Alcohol & soothing health tonics available at the bar at your own expense.
You can join the discussion at